Monday, May 4, 2015

Working on my garden (very slowly)

I must be the slowest gardener on the face of the planet... A few weeks ago Winn Dixie had hibiscus on sale for $12 each, so John bought me two, and I've been getting the side of the driveway ready to plant... this is as far as I've gotten in two weeks, but at least I'm trying! Since we rent, I'm trying to get the garden in as cheaply as possible in case we have to abandon it for some reason, but I'm very excited to finally have some plants of my own. I've been staring at the empty grass all year long and imagining it with hibiscus and other tropical plants making it interesting. If we're still here another few years, it'll be the back garden's turn but for now I'll settle for a properly edged driveway...

Day one - Buy shovel, dig hole and plant pink hibiscus... (John dug the hole for me)
Day two - root out grass in start of garden bed area...
Day three - buy flowers (dwarf zinnia and some kind of miniature yellow daisy thing), and bricks for edging... Day four - buy hand trowel and start burying bricks. At this rate it's going to take me a month to finish the bed, I just hope I can get it done before it gets too hot...

I'm very happy with the front of the house now... I got a garden bench with the last of my Christmas money, and a cute wind chime for Easter...

Doesn't this look lovely... the gardenia is flowering like crazy this year! (ignore the recyling bin in the foreground, it was trash night) You can smell the perfume from the house when the wind blows in the right direction.


No comments: